If you live in a house share or have neighbours or you’re just a creative night owl, it’s not always possible to work with monitor speakers. That’s why we tried and tested the best affordable and high-quality closed-back headphones, that combine incredible frequency response and reasonable price point.
Andertons’ staff tried 5 models for you from some of the top headphone brands AKG, Roland and Behringer and rated them according to comfort, sound quality and build quality. If you want to find out more about our rating criteria, click here.
Check out the rest of our headphone ratings here:
- Andertons Scoreboard: Best Closed-Back Headphones £10-£20 (2022)
- Andertons Scoreboard: Best-Closed Back Headphones £40-£70 (2022)
- Andertons Scoreboard: Best Closed-Back Headphones £70-£100 (2022)
- Andertons Scoreboard: Best Closed- Back Headphones £120-£180 (2022)
- Andertons Scoreboard: Best In-Ear Headphones £25-£90 (2022)
AKG are one of the top brands that focus on headphones specifically. The K52 are designed to reveal any nuance in your mix: the 40mm drivers, with a 18Hz-20kHz frequency response, are ideal to monitor any element in your track, from bassline to vocals.
- Comfort – Our staff ranked how comfortable they found these on their heads. – 3.7/5
- Sound quality – Our staff rated how they thought these headphones sounded with this price point of £20-£40 – 3.7/5
- Build quality – Our staff compared how well the build quality and durability of each headphone was. 3.7/5
Total Score: 11.1
Final Score: 3.71/5
Quality and price go hand in hand in the Behringer BH770. 53mm drivers and a 10Hz – 38kHz frequency response make for perfect headphones to work on your tracks as well as enjoying music on your commute or at home!
- Comfort – 4.7/5
- Sound quality – 3.2/5
- Build quality – 4.5/5
Total score: 12.4
Final score: 4.13/5
These headphones are specially designed for instruments such as Roland’s digital pianos and V-Drums. They provide high-quality sound and great comfort – ideal when you’re rehearsing for long periods of time.
- Comfort – 3.3/5
- Sound quality – 4.3/5
- Build quality – 3.5/5
Total score: 11.1
Final score: 3.7/5
AKG blends affordability and sound quality in the K72. These headphones work particularly well with low-end frequencies and have a great response between 16Hz to 20kHz.
- Comfort – 3.8/5
- Sound quality – 3.9/5
- Build quality – 3.8/5
Total score: 11.4
Final score: 3.8/5
Golden looks and golden sound are the key factors of the AKG K92. They were created with project studios and working musicians in mind, who are looking for a precise feedback on their music without breaking the bank.
- Comfort – 3.8/5
- Sound quality – 4.1/5
- Build quality – 3.9/5
Total score: 11.8
Final score: 3.92/5